Holidays, Fences, NSW Health Advice and more: Term 3 | Week 10

Weekly News
Stay up to date with all of the news and upcoming events at Lake Heights Public School.
From the principal's desk
‘The greatest legacy we can leave our children is happy memories’ - Og Mandino Happy Holidays Today marks the start of the final week for Term Three. It has been a long and challenging term as our community has pivoted together in response to the World’s current pandemic. I thank the community, students and staff for their monumental efforts. I think this week’s quote is a great one to start the holidays. I hope our children, community and staff enjoy some time over the break with those closest. This morning K/1 was the fourth class to win Gizmo’s presence. It is a testament to our students’ widespread commitment to our values that four different classes have won the challenge in as many weeks. Today’s image depicts Gizmo writing with our K/1 students, an activity they complete daily. Fencing – During my first PandC meeting as Principal at LHPS, the PandC informed me that replacement of the front fence has been high on their agenda for some time. I have been working behind the scenes to advance this. Despite my best efforts, I was unable to secure special additional funds to complete this project, however, I have been able to source funds to finance the project internally. I have met multiple times with our departmental Safety, Security and Assets teams to design the best approach to suit our needs. I have also spoken with our PandC and community members wherever possible in this COVID environment to understand needs and desires. For me, my primary goals were to make the roadside safer by limiting students’ ease of access to the roadway, to stop balls and equipment running down the path, and also to keep dogs etc off our site. I also wanted to maintain ease of community access to the site to share our space, and to maintain the attractive and welcoming look of the school frontage. In consideration of all these things, we have agreed on a 1.5m tubular fence with a flat top. The colour has not been decided and I would like to survey staff, students and community to decide this. The goal is to complete the front fence over Xmas if we can and then to consider the back fence as a secondary project late in 2021 for 22. I invite community members with any strong feelings on this project to contact me via the front office for discussion. NSW Health Advice – I regularly monitor and share the advice of NSW health for our school, such as checking the information available at https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/latest-news-and-updates#latest-covid-19-case-locations-in-nsw and I encourage our community to do the same. I also carefully monitor our Department’s advice, made available for the community here: https://education.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/advice-for-families. NSW Health is meeting to reconsider our state’s stance on many COVID related issues on October 12. I anticipate soon following this I will be able to make firmer decisions and share guidance on key considerations such as our Year 6 farewell, our Kindergarten transition, our award ceremonies and picnic days, among others in Term 4 such as Grandfriends’ Day and end year fundraisers. I understand there are many questions at present in the community, and I will endeavour to answer them as well and soon as possible. I intend to hold a community forum and QandA early in Term 4 to provide an update, answer any COVID related questions and also bring the community up to speed on our Annual School Planning progress for 2021-24. Well done 5/6 – A special mention to our 5/6 class who won a community competition this week in celebration of Child Protection Week for their video on safety. Great work! Have a great week, and Happy Holidays! We will see all students back for Day 1 of learning on Tuesday, October 13. Kind regards, Kieren Corbyn (Principal)
The week that was
Click the link above to see all of the action from Lake Heights Public School from last week. While you are there, watch our other videos from the past.
Lunch orders
A reminder that the shop is closed this week for lunch orders. It will re-open for Term 4. Peter informs us that their nephews will be taking over the running of the store. We thank Peter and his team for their continual service to our community.
AFL training
Our next two AFL training sessions will take place next term. This is a continuation of the development program targeted at students with limited to no knowledge of AFL. The curriculum linked program has specific educational outcomes achieved through practicing the core skills of the game. We are looking forward to finishing the course in Weeks 2 and 3 next term.
Merits
5/6's lake walk
We started out walking across the road, while car horns were beeping at us, then we went down a steep hill. We saw a poodle walking past with a kind lady who let us pat the dog. One of the boys went on the swing but Mrs Nicastri told him the complete opposite, NOT to go on the swing. It was one of those olden day swings. We went past some rocks where the boys were looking for lizards and water dragons. We found a graffiti style painting and we took a photo in front of it.  When we got to a grassy area, we played continuous tag. On the way back we had a quick photo on the bench where we saw people riding past on their scooters and bikes. When we got back to the steep rocky hill, we went up in groups of two. Whilst walking back to school, cars beeped at us again. - by Charlise
Lock your car
We are coming into school holidays soon and traditionally Steal from Motor Vehicle offences take a significant increase. Lake Illawarra Police District is urging the community to take extra care when securing their vehicles coming into the school holidays. When you leave your vehicle, even for a short period of time, close all windows, remove the keys from the ignition, lock all doors and windows. Ensure you have removed all property, especially mobile phones, iPads, laptop computers, wallets/purses, bags and money in the console. Use caution when taking goods to your motor vehicle in shopping centres, thieves watch you drop off items to your vehicle and steal them when you continue to shop. Report suspicious activity, people walking around trying door handle to find unlocked vehicles, and looking into windows. Tradespeople who are unable to remove items need to secure their tools and equipment in locked cabinets and /or fit a locked cabinet to their trays.
Lost property
This week we place all of our unclaimed, unnamed uniform items outside our office. Please have a look with your children to see if anything belongs to you, or if you could provide a good home. At the term’s end, items appropriate will be donated to charity.
Like us on Facebook

Next newsletter:  Tuesday 13 October 2020

Don't forget to like us on Facebook. As a school, we use our Facebook page to post reminders, share highlights and communicate with our families. By liking our school page, you'll be able to stay up-to-date.

For your calendar

Click/tap on this link to add the school calendar to your phone, tablet or device: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lakeheightsps%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics

Our community

Want to change how you receive these emails? You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list