i98FM Illawarra Convoy
The i98FM Illawarra Convoy broadened its focus in 2016 with a new name and greater charitable reach. The region’s biggest one-day fundraising event has been rebadged as the i98FM Illawarra Convoy to reflect its commitment to broaden the support to the Illawarra and South Coast community.
Convoy contributes to a range of local groups and individuals through the newly formed Illawarra Community Foundation. The administrative and financial costs of running the event are managed by members of the Foundation.
- ‘Convoy’ is a one day event held in the Illawarra each year, on the third weekend in November.
- ‘Convoy’ began in 2005 after Marty Haynes, i98FM’s radio breakfast show host, began the concept while working in Canberra, after the sad passing of one of his young listeners. Then, it was known as the Convoy and Carnival for Cancer Kids.
- When Marty began work for the WIN Radio organisation in the Illawarra he brought the idea with him.
- In 2016 Convoy had a name change to the i98FM Illawarra Convoy, this change reflects the growth of Convoy and its ability to help support Illawarra families when they most need it.
- ‘Convoy’ travels a distance of 70km from Illawarra Coal’s West Cliff Colliery at Appin, through the streets of the Illawarra to the final destination at the Croome Road Sporting Complex in Albion Park Rail.
- A free Family Fun Day is held at the end, where trucks and bikes are parked for onlookers to check out and entertainment is provided. ‘Convoy’ has attracted such names as Shannon Noll, Diesel (Mark Lizotte), Guy Sebastian and Delta Goodrem.
- ‘Convoy’ is open to all truck and bike enthusiasts, who register to take part for a $30 donation.
- The opportunity to take the coveted spot as Lead Truck is fought out in a live to air auction the week leading up to ‘Convoy’. Any bid in this auction is considered a donation pledge.
- The astounding 2018 total amount of two million dollars illustrates the amazing support this event continues to generate. From the thousands of onlookers that line the streets and attend the Family Fun Day, to the people that read and watch the extensive media coverage, to the truckies and bikies, to the ‘Convoy’ committee: it’s a massive occasion on the Illawarra’s Events Calendar.
- In 2018 there were 721 Trucks & 965 Motorbikes with over $2,000,000.00 raised.